Birding in Alabama

I love birding...seriously love it.  My problem is that I can't afford a nice 400mm lens, so I have to make due with my Nikon 70-300mm VR lens.  It does the job, but I end up cropping a great deal.  These are the times that a solid 21 megapixels would come in handy!

I went for a hike through Hayes Nature Preserve with my mom last weekend on an especially beautiful day and came across my first Yellow Bellied Sapsucker (that I've photographed at least).  Looking through the viewfinder and seeing the distinctive black stripes across his eyes, I instantly assumed he was a Downy Woodpecker.  It wasn't until I got home and uploaded the photos that I noticed the red on his head and under his bill.  I was stumped for a bit, but thanks to Mr. Google, I realized he was a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker.

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
- I always have a camera, and I take too many photos - I can't carry a tune, but I love to sing - I prefer meatless, but I'm not a vegetarian - I think ice cream makes the world go round - I watch too much TV - I can sleep all day if allowed - I can name that tune in five notes (if we're listening to a country station)

Contact Me

I offer prints (including fine art canvas prints) of all nature and wildlife photos you may see on this blog or on my Flickr site.

I also allow licensing of my photos. All of my work is copyrighted. Please do not use any of my photos without my permission. Please contact me if you are interested in licensing my photos for your use.

Contact me for more information: MLHScott@gmail.com